Monday, July 23, 2007

I WAS going to go home this weekend..

This is where I used to go swimming when I was little. There's a pool inside and out now..

Well, I had a lovely long weekend planned. But oh no. Global warming intervened.

It began at 4pm on Friday. After having too many teas/talking large amounts of rubbish in the Breakfast Club, I went back to my flat to prepare to go home.

Got a call from my folks. Ah, so that little bit of flash flooding in London (lasted about 10/15 minutes) has actually been going on all day. Oh dear.

Still, like a mug, I went to Paddington to pick up my tickets. No dice.

Not really surprising when you think that this was the situation Saturday morning. Yes, Pershore is about 10 minutes from my house at home (in fact, it's where I went to school when I was a wee nipper).

Compounding my status as a mug, I tried again. Still nothing (click this link to see what the train line looked like - picture twelve). However, watching the massive scrummage to get on the Bristol train was a joy to behold, and fully restored my faith in small, determined elderly people who got their way through with the odd cheeky elbow.

Upton Upon Severn. Nicked from the BBC (Daniel Berehulak), usual rules apply.

And it got worse. Upton Upon Severn, for those who click on the link and learn about it, is again, about 10 minutes away from where I live. It's where my Grandma used to live. Happily, she doesn't any more, or that house would be a write off (as it is, it can't get insurance any more, as it floods so frequently).

So no, I didn't go home this weekend.

And it's still pretty bloody terrible near where I live (Worcester/Gloucester border, quite near Tewkesbury). Some people I know have no fresh water or electricity. Here's hoping the emergency services can help.

Things like this make you realise that it's all very well to worry about the environment, and global warming, but we need to DO SOMETHING. I'm as ignorant as the next person, but when something like this happens on a local level, it should serve as a sobering wake up call.

No bullshit. Just listen to the scientists, and get prepared for more monsoons - lessons must be learned.

And yes, family Humphrey are just fine. Albeit a bit shaken and concerned by it all.

This is fairly dark stuff for a Monday - don't worry, I shall resume more advertising/nonsense writing shortly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a nightmare, isn't it?

My folks live in a village outside Worcester and they're pretty much cut off until the water goes down.

Oliver Luard said...

Hi Will, I'm glad your family are O.K - it has been absolutely mad this summer. Thanks for your message earlier, am hoping to get properly involved from now on and might have to ask you for advice at points! All the best.

Anonymous said...

I saw from your twitter feed that you were attempting to get home and I did wonder how you were getting on. Happy to hear your family are all ok

lauren said...

great post will and it is completely fucking bonkers. glad that your folks are safe and well.

Rob Mortimer (aka Famous Rob) said...

All those people who sneered at the idea of Live Earth (not the iffy execution) must be feeling pretty stupid now (not that they were ever anything else).

Its horrible for anyone to have to go through that, but maybe in a small overly harsh way its a little justice for the people who completely ignored or dismissed the situation when people died in floods in Yorkshire.

Age said...

holy moly! this has been getting a bit of attention down under. hope it's turning around for you and your folks mate.

 
Google Analytics Alternative

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner